1. When college students ______ future employment, they often think of status, income, and prestige.
A. demand B. assume C. apply D. anticipate
2. Alice ______ her father that both she and her husband would be happy if he would live with them.
A. convinced B. reinforced C. pledged D. required
3. I caught a ______ of the car before it disappeared around the bend.
A. glance B. glimpse C. glare D. stare
4. The World Health Organization gave a warning to the public without any ________when the virus of H1N1 hit Mexico in April, 2009.
A. delay B. effort C. schedule D. consideration
5. Hiking by oneself can be fun and good for health. It may also be good for ______ building.
A. respect B. friendship C. reputation D. character
6. In our class, when the bell rang and the teacher closed his book, it was a ______ for everyone to stand up.
A. signal B. chance C. mark D. measure
7. The system has been designed to give students quick and easy ______ to the digital resources of the library.
A. access B. passage C. way D. approach
8. Encourage your children to try new things, but try not to ________ them too hard.
A. draw B. strike C. rush D. push
9. —He says that my new car is a ______ of money.
—Don’t you think those words are just sour grapes?
A. lack B. load C. question D. waste
10. From their ________ on the top of the TV Tower, visitors can have a better view of the city.
A. stage B. position C. condition D. situation
1.【答案】D。解析：anticipate vt预料，期望，预望：The first question is the one John has anticipated. (第一个问题是约翰已经预料到的。)
2.【答案】A。解析：convince sb. +that从句意为“使……相信，说服……”。convince sb.of sth. (I tried to convince them of his innocence.) ; convince sb. to do sth. (We convinced him to go by car.); convinced adj. be convinced of/that; I am convinced of his guilt./I am convinced that he is guilty. convincing adj令人信服的;reinforce 加强，增强;pledge发誓，保证。
3.【答案】B。解析：catch (or get) a glimpse of瞥见(强调行为的结果) I caught a glimpse of her in the crowd. 我在人群中瞥见了他。take a glance (or look) at看一眼(强调行为过程本身)。Take a glance at the TV programs 瞄一下电视节目。
8.【答案】D。解析：句意为：鼓励你的孩子去尝试新事物，但不要把他们逼得太紧。push 推，挤，逼迫;strike v. 打,罢工,划燃;rush v. 冲进,匆促行事,催;draw v. 拉,拖,挨近,提取,画,绘制。根据句意，应选D。
9.【答案】D。解析：考查单词的区别：lack缺乏;load负担;question疑问;waste 浪费;根据句意，尤其是下句的sour grapes(酸葡萄)可知答案选D。