1. According to the psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud, wisdom comes from the _____ of maturity.
A. fulfillment B. achievement
C. establishment D. accomplishment
2. The number of tickets _____ will be determined by the size of the stadium.
A. adaptable B. acceptable C. advisable D. available
3. Too many hotels have been built and this has _____ prices, making holidays cheaper.
A. cut short B. cut out C. cut off D. cut down
4. He is a very honest official and never _____ any gifts from the people who sought his help.
A. accepted B. received C. took up D. excepted
5. He was not _____ to the club because he wasn’t a member.
A. allowed B. admitted C. permitted D. approved
6. Although he doesn't like that law, he will _____ with it.
A. confine B. conform C. comply D. contend
7. Motorists _____ of speeding may be banned from driving for a year.
A. convicted B. arrested C. charged D. judged
8. Will all those _____ the proposal raise their hands?
A. in relation to B. in excess of
C. in contrast to D. in favor of
9. An early typewriter produced letters quickly and neatly; the typist, _____ couldn't see his work on his machine.
A. however B. therefore C. yet D. although
10. We are interested in the weather because it _____ us so directly — what we wear, what we do, and even how we feel.
A. benefits B. guides C. affects D. effects
1.【答案】B。解析：achievement (=something successfully finished or gained especially through skill and hard work) 取得，达到，成就。例如：achievement age智力成熟年龄。fulfillment (=the act of fulfilling or condition of being fulfilled) 履行，实行。如：He was willing to face any hardship in fulfillment of his duties. (他愿意迎向困难去履行他得职责。) establishment 建立，建设。accomplishment (顺利) 完成：It was a great accomplishment to finish the house cleaning in two days. (两天内打扫完这栋屋子是件很了不起的事。)
2.【答案】D。解析：available (=capable of being used; that may be obtained) 可用的，有效的，可得到的。例如：1) There are no doctors available in the remote areas. (在边远地区没有大夫。) 2) These tickets are available for one month. (这些票有效期一个月。)acceptable 可以接受的：None of the suggestions was acceptable. advisable 明智的，可取的，适当的：I think it advisable that he be assigned to the job. (我认为指派他干这项工作是可取的。) adaptable 能适应的：He is an adaptable man and will soon learn the new work.
3.【答案】D。解析：考查短语辨析。cut short缩短;打断;cut out切断;删去;cut off切断;中断;cut down削减，减少。这里表示削减价格，故选D。
4.【答案】A。解析：receive 收到，接到，指“收，接”这一动作; 而accept 是经过考虑“接受”下来，表示当事人的态度，如：I received the present，but I did not accept it. (我收到了这件礼物，但我没有接受。)
5.【答案】B。解析：admit sb. to (=allow sb. or sth. to enter; let in) 允许某人某物进入; 让……进入：1) Children are not admitted. (儿童免进。) Only one hundred boys are admitted to the school every year. (这所学校每年只收100名男生。) admit (=acknowledge; confess) 承认，供认：1) We have to admit that he is a highly competent man. (我们不得不承认他是一位能力很强的人。) 2) The thief admitted his crime. 3) She admitted having read the letter. 4) I admit breaking the window. 注意admit后可接动名词的一般式或完成式。5) We must admit the task to be difficult。注意admit也可以接复合结构。allow和permit意思是允许，许可，不合本题题意。approve sth. 批准; approve of doing sth. (=think well of) 赞成，赞许：1) I am afraid they won't approve of your going there. (恐怕他们不会赞成你去那里的。) 2) I don't approve of your way of looking at things. (我不赞同你看待事情的方法。)
6.【答案】C。解析：comply with 遵守。
7.【答案】A。解析：be convicted of 宣布有罪：He was convicted of murder. (他被法院判有谋杀罪。)
8.【答案】D。解析：in favor of 赞成。in excess of 超过。in relation to 关系到。in contrast to 与……相对照。例如：1) Everyone in the class voted in favor of the party. (=All of the children voted to have a party.)2) We got $5000 in excess of the fixed sum. (我们比定额多收入5000美元。)3) This appears small in contrast to (with) that. (这个同那个对比起来显得小了。)4) I have a lot to say in relation to that affair. (我对那件事有许多话要说。)5) We must plan in (with) relation to the future. (我们定计划时要考虑到将来。)句意：请所有赞成此项建议的人举手。